Pages

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Little Act of Kindness in Singapore: Getting an umbrella when it rains?

A few years back in Singapore, I loved going for a stroll after dinner-- probably to give myself a break before starting my revision for A Level, and also to spend time with the person who had a special place in my heart at that period. (to boyfriend, if you are reading this, note that it is only AT THAT TIME)

So one day, we went out for a stroll after dinner as usual. And at that time before coming to UK, I didn't have the habit of checking out the weather forecast, or even looking at the sky to see how would the weather be... (can't be bothered at that age?)

Just 10 minutes after we left our hostel, it started pouring. It was literally POURING, the very heavy rain that you normally get in Southeast Asia and you get drenched very soon after the rain starts.

Very luckily, there was a bus stop nearby and we just ran towards the bus stop and waited there. We didn't know what to do... Maybe just hope that God would suddenly have mercy in us and stop the rain...

Suddenly, a lady came to us, and passed us two umbrellas. She GAVE the umbrellas to us, unconditionally. I could see that the van that she was on had a logo of a church, but she didn't try to preach to us-- she was just giving the umbrella to us, and other poor pedestrians who were caught in the rain as well.

I was really touched. I tried asking how could I return the umbrellas to her, and she just told me to pass on the umbrellas to other people in the future.

Thank you to the random lady for the umbrellas, for the unconditional help. I would always remember that. Umbrellas could be something symbolic, but I would always remember your kindness. I would pass on the kindness that I've received to helpless people else where. (But whenever I approached tourists who seemed really lost, they normally kindly rejected me T__T, because I look like a con-woman?)

After getting the umbrellas, we continued strolling around our hostel under the heavy rain...

On our way back, I saw my two best friends, each holding two umbrellas. 4 umbrellas in total. 2 for themselves, and the other two... were probably for us.

They told me that since it was raining, they were worried that we might be trapped outside. Hence, they were out searching for us to pass us the umbrellas.

To date, I am still in touch with the two girls who passed us the umbrellas. And I am thankful to have them two in my life.

Picture taken during A Level in Singapore.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...