Pages

Saturday, July 13, 2013

A little act of kindness in Hong Kong

When I just finished A Level, the mad rush for university application started.

-SAT exam (which I definitely screwed up)
-Application to over 5 Liberal Arts Colleges (I was out of my mind and probably wanted to throw myself out of my comfort zone--the exam-based UK education system that has nurtured me for the past 17 years)
-HKU, HKUST university application 
-many other scholarship applications
-Aussie uni applications 
.
.
.

I was so mad about studying in a Medical School at that time, and so when the invitation for a face-to-face interview came, I booked the Air Asia flight to Hong Kong in an hour (of course with the consent of my dad) and prepared to go to Hong Kong for the interview! On top of that, the whole week in April was very eventful,  I had a scholarship interview on the day right before my HKU interview, and after HKU interview, I had a trip planned to Laos to visit my friend. That was quite a bit of madness.

Everyone who has seen me would say that I have a babyface, i.e. I look younger (and gullible?).
Thinking about the time, I still don't understand where did I get all the courage and a slight hint of foolishness to go to HKU for the interview.

Why "foolishness": Because all medical interviews for HKU would require the interviewee to have knowledge of Cantonese, and I didn't know Cantonese at all ( I speak Mandarin at home and I don't watch HK dramas). I just genuinely hope that my passion to get a place would warrant me a place in HKU...which obviously, I failed.

So I took a bus to KL from my hometown, then took another bus from KL Sentral to the airport, then boarded the morning flight to HK! 

Being an inexperienced newbie in travelling independently, I didn't do any research about HK (wasted time in such a happening country!!!)
I just prepared some notes for my interview, found out how to get to the place from the airport and that's it.

After the interview, I decided not to take a cab back to the city but a bus instead. All I remembered was the bus speeding as it got down on a hill. OMG that was scary, almost like a roller coaster ride without the seat belt on, and I was sitting at the very front row! The people around me were just grim-faced and couldn't be bothered. From then I had the impression that the people are cold and unwelcoming, and I felt really lonely as I was there.

I got off at Central, and found my way to the main street. I felt really lost at that point, seeing the huge crowds of people on the street. 

I did not know what to do...

Where can I get food? (I am not even concerned about how good is the food...)
How can I get back to the airport?
Where is the nearest MTR station?

I tried speaking to the locals in Mandarin, and they just didn't understand me. I felt really down.:(

At this point, a very kind lady reached out to me. She noticed me as we were crossing the road, and she knew that I was feeling lost.

She recommended me some places for food, and even told me how good the food would be.
She let me tried the most famous egg tart in HK
She even offered me a ride to the airport, which I rejected because I prefer to spend sometime exploring the place.

I was really, really touched.

After so many years, being a much seasoned traveller, I still could remember her very kind act. 
That reminds me to always reach out to tourists who seem lost as I walk in London.
That reminds me to always remain humble and help out the less fortunate ones.
That reminds me to do my research before going to a new place, i.e don't be so stupid and naive.


I felt the need to get back to her, but I am not sure whether she would get freaked out by me... Should I?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...